Monday, April 14, 2008

Life in Tassie - part 1

I have been in Tasmania for almost a month; temperature now is 26 degree Celsius. Due to some reasons, I need to be in Tasmania 2 weeks before I start my course. In the 1st 2 weeks without having any classes, I have been trying to get use to the new environment liked people here, food here, weather and my new lifestyle.

The very 1st day when I reached in Tassie, university’s international services sent a Malaysian guy to fetch me from the mini airport and I can’t remember his name. He took me a car tour to the city but I don’t remember anything because I was too tired that day since I never really sleep well while I was in the plane for whole night. When I reached my college, after a long process, finally I got my room key but I have no idea where to go and I have to ask the people who I met in the way to the college. People here are really kind, the 1st person that I met, she brought me to my room even though my room is in the highest floor. After I put my entire luggage in my room, I walked around my college to look for washroom, laundry room, and whatever that I can use while I’m in the college. There is another nice person who shown up while I was loiter around the college. His name is Yue Jin; we pronounce his name as Eugene. He is one of the students who stay in my college. He gave me a tour in the college and explains some of the rules and regulations in the college. Oh ya, must thank him for this, he told me when the dinner was. Haha, I was so hungry that day because I din has no any proper breakfast or lunch on that day. Must thanks to my brother and his friends too, he asked his friends to bought me a tin of Milo, a water kittle, a cup and some of the essential. I think I did not call back to Malaysia on that day because I do not know how to use the phone card. I sleep very soon after I finished my dinner and I think that time was about 9pm. That’s how my 1st day in Tasmania ended.
I did something similar for the next day. By the way, I met most of my friends in the dining hall.

On the 3rd day of the 1st week if I’m not mistaken, I went to have a night walk to the city with another 3 friends that I got to know them while I’m here. It was really exciting. 1st time walked on the street at night with new friends in the place that I always dream to be. On that night itself, I knew that there are some racists’ problems in Australia too. We were thrown raw eggs by the local people (I think) who are driving on the road twice. Some of the local people here, they don’t really like Asians. That’s the reason why they thrown eggs at us, but we were very lucky that day because those eggs does not hit us. By the way, one of us is not Asian but her hair is black. From that day onwards, I always check up the car plate whenever there is car past by me while I’m walking on the street. Haha. Since I’m talking about racism, I was shouted by somebody who were in the car last week to go back to Hong Kong. Haha, do I look like Hongkie? Please don’t get misunderstand, not all the Australian are like that, those racist people are just a little tiny amount of them. Most of the people that I know here are really kind and friendly.
I went to fishing on the 2nd Saturday that I’m in Tasmania. I don’t remember what the name that I went is. I posted some of the photos last time. Haha, the fishes that me and my friends caught are flat head fish, I not sure whether we can get in Malaysia or not but that was the 1st time I saw that kind of fish. I hope I can go fishing for another time, it was fun!

Let’s stop here now, I’ll update more next time, need to go dinner now. The temperature now is 20 degree Celsius!

No comments: